Compare drug prices at GoodRx.ca
Common Conditions | Sexual Healthcare
Anorgasmia is the medical term for someone regularly having difficulty reaching orgasm after ample sexual stimulation. Orgasm is a complex reaction to various emotional, physical, and psychological factors. Difficulties in any of these areas can affect your ability to orgasm.
There are physical, psychological, and relationship causes that can impact a person’s ability to orgasm.
- Serious illnesses such as multiple sclerosis
- Gynecological issues such as hysterectomy
- Prescription and over-the-counter medications
- Alcohol and smoking
- Mental health issues
- Poor body image
- Guilt about enjoying sex
- Cultural and religious beliefs
- Past sexual or emotional abuse
- Lack of connection with your partner
- Poor communication of sexual needs and preferences
- Infidelity or lack of trust
- Unresolved conflicts
- Partner violence
The primary symptom of anorgasmia is the failure to climax during sex. Some people may also experience a decreased intensity of orgasms, take longer than usual to achieve orgasms, and experience pain in the lower abdomen or pelvic region during sex.
Premature ejaculation is a condition where a man ejaculates sooner than he or his partner would like during sex. Ejaculation happens when a man experiences orgasm, and though there is no definite time when a man should ejaculate, ejaculating before intercourse or less than a minute after you begin, it is considered too soon.
There is no known cause for premature ejaculation. However, doctors have theorized that there might be biological and psychological/emotional factors that play a role in this condition.
- Unusual hormone levels
- Irregular levels of neurotransmitters in the brain
- Infection in the prostate or urethra
- Genetic traits
- Sexual abuse
- Poor body image
The primary symptom of this condition is the inability to delay ejaculation for more than one minute during the start of sexual intercourse. But premature ejaculation can also happen in other forms of sexual situations, such as masturbation.
There are two classifications for premature ejaculation.
- Lifelong: Lifelong premature ejaculation means that a man experiences this condition almost all of the time.
- Acquired: Acquired premature ejaculation means that a man is only recently experiencing ejaculatory problems.
Delayed ejaculation refers to the condition wherein a man experiences difficulty in reaching orgasm after a prolonged period of sexual stimulation. Sometimes, a man would ejaculate after more than 30 minutes of sexual stimulation while other times, he doesn’t orgasm or ejaculate at all.
Even though there is no specific cause for delayed ejaculation, there are a variety of factors that affect this condition.
Psychological factors include:
- Anxiety, depression, and other mental health conditions
- Traumatic experience
- Relationship stress
Medications and other substances include:
- Some antidepressants
- Some high-blood pressure medications
- Some anti-seizure medications
Physical causes include:
- Birth defects that affect the male reproductive system
- Urinary tract infection
- Neurological diseases
- Hormone-related conditions
Delayed ejaculation happens when a man needs more than 30 minutes of sexual stimulation to reach orgasm and ejaculate. Sometimes, the problem manifests during sex with a partner, but it can also happen during masturbation.
Erectile dysfunction is the inability to get or keep an erection firm enough to engage in sexual intercourse. Occasional erectile dysfunction is not a major concern because men do experience it often, especially when they’re stressed. However, it becomes an issue when the problem is persistent and frequent.
There are several possible reasons for erectile dysfunction. Some of the most common reasons are certain health conditions such as:
- Cardiovascular disease
- High cholesterol
- Hormone imbalances
- Kidney disease
- Parkinson’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Peyronie’s disease (development of scar tissues inside the penis)
- Sleep disorders
Aside from these physical causes, erectile dysfunctions also happen because of tobacco, alcohol, and drug use and consumption of certain prescription medications (especially for high blood pressure and mental illness). Damage to the pelvic area because of injury or surgery can also cause erectile dysfunction.
The main symptom of erectile dysfunction is trouble getting an erection. But other symptoms include difficulty in maintaining an erection during sexual activities and having reduced interest in sex.
ED can be related to other sexual disorders for men, such as premature ejaculation, delayed ejaculation, and anorgasmia.
Low libido refers to a decreased interest in sexual activity. While it’s common to lose interest in sex from time to time for various reasons, a low libido for a long period of time may concern some people or be an indicator of another health condition.
These are a few potential causes for low libido in men:
- Testosterone: Because testosterone levels play a part in a man’s sex drive, when testosterone levels decrease, your desire for sex also decreases.
- Medications: Taking certain medications can lower testosterone levels such as blood pressure medications, chemotherapy treatments, and opioid pain relievers.
- Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS): This syndrome is the uncontrollable urge to move your legs. A study found that men with RLS are at a higher risk of developing erectile dysfunction than those without RLS.
- Depression: People with depression experience a reduced or complete lack of interest in activities they once found pleasurable, including sex.
- Chronic illness: If people have a chronic health condition, such as type 2 diabetes or high blood pressure, sex is likely low on their priority list.
- Sleep problems: Studies have found that men with sleep apnea or restricted sleep had decreased testosterone levels.
- Stress: Stress can disrupt hormone levels in men and women.
- Drugs and alcohol: These can reduce testosterone levels which can reduce sex drive and desire.
Some symptoms and signs of low libido include: